Friday, September 14, 2007

#22 Face-to-Face Space

I was pretty skeptical about the usefulness of social networking sites like Facebook and Myspace before this exercise; to me, they were things that kept the attention of my students in instruction classes.

But I took the plunge and joined Facebook.

I've added a few applications (LibraryThing and Librarian) that are library-specific, and a few that are completely fun (LOLcats, HHDane cause, etc). Surprisingly, I've found myself on it a lot. The most fun has been reconnecting with old high school friends, and other Ohio U library folks. I anticipate that it will be very useful when I make the move to UM.

What I find most fascinating is all of the research that is now being done on social networking sites: demographic makeup of Facebook vs. Myspace, virtual friends vs. real friends, expanding virtual networking and shrinking actual socializion.....interesting stuff.

No comments: