Friday, September 14, 2007

#19 Discovering Web 2.0 Tools

I'm going to say the same thing everyone else is saying: Wow! Though we've covered a number of "Web 2.0" topics and tools in this program, the Web 2.0 Awards page makes it very clear that there is much, much more out there! A bit daunting, to be honest. We'll never get a chance to try everything, and just when we do, more things are added! Exciting, but also kind of depressing in a "when will it ever stop?!?" way.

I checked out Yelp, ad city-guide type of social site. I was interested to see what it had to say about my hometown area, Minneapolis/St. Paul. The site deafulted to San Francisco, which was kind of annoying (instead of letting me choose my city off the bat).

I entered in Minneapolis, MN and off I went to check out the "local flavor" section. At first glance, nothing about the Minneapolis page seemed as robust as the San Fran page, but I guess that shouldn't surprise me :). I didn't find much, to be honest (I know there's more flavor in Minneapolis than 4 entries!!). It offers the option to add a business, but to me, most local flavor isn't a "business" per se. For example, the Minnesota State Fair is definitely local flavor!

All in all I wasn't that impressed with Yelp (at least for my uses), but I'll give it a chance again. I checked out lots of the other "winners" as well, and there's definitely some cool stuff out there! I plan to check this site the next time they do their "awards", as its a nice compact place to find some of these Web 2.0 tools.

No comments: